Lewis Martin, CVA, is a graduate of the University of California Berkeley – School of Business. He holds the Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) designation – one of the professional appraisal designations issued by the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts. The National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA) certifies and trains Certified Valuation Analysts to perform business valuations as a service to business owners, lending sources, the consulting community, legal firms, and the users of their services.
From the NACVA website:
“NACVA’s professional designations serve to advise other professionals, prospective clients, and the community at large that you have met the Association’s rigorous standards of professionalism, expertise, objectivity, and integrity in the fields of business valuation (CVA/AVA) and financial forensics/litigation consulting (CFFA).”
Through training and rigorous testing, CVAs demonstrate they are qualified to provide capable and professionally executed valuation services. NACVA requires training as a prerequisite to certification to assure that practitioners have the knowledge and understanding necessary to perform competent services, and to assure a level of consistency and continuity in their work product. Users of valuation services benefit by having greater confidence that the service they receive is professional in quality, adheres to industry standards of practice, and meets a level of expertise the Association deems credible and worthy of one of its certified members. CVAs must hold a business degree from an accredited institution of higher education and demonstrate substantial business valuation experience, among other requirements. The CVA accreditation designates the business valuation consultant as a true professional in his/her field, worthy of the admiration of fellow appraisers and deserving the fullest confidence of those they serve.
For the purpose of determining enterprise value, the Small Business Administration (SBA) defines a “qualified source” is an individual who regularly receives compensation for business valuations and is accredited by one of the following recognized organizations:
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) accredited through the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA); and
- Accredited Business Certified Appraiser (ABCA) accredited through the International Society of Business Analysts.
- Accredited Valuation Analyst (AVA) accredited through the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts.
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) accredited through the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts.
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) accredited through the American Society of Appraisers.
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA) accredited through the Institute of Business Appraisers.